Another new item that has appeared during the six month hiatus on this blog is local historian Gerry Brawn’s article in Pembrokeshire Life magazine about a little-known disaster at a colliery in Landshipping. Although the pit is not strictly in the area covered by this blog as it is five miles or so to the west of Saundersfoot, it is important as it is the start of a sequence of increasingly serious accidents in the Pembrokeshire coalfield which culminated with yet another at Landshipping in 1844. The 1838 Thomas Chapel disaster is part of this sequence.
Thanks to Gerry for providing the following abstract from his article:
“Landshipping, although some way from the coal mines of Begelly and its environs, deserves a mention because of the substantial coal workings in this area, known both as “The mines to the east of the Cleddau”, and also for the infamous accident at the Garden Pit in 1844 where some 40 lives were lost when the River Cleddau broke into the workings.
However on 3rd August 1830 a disaster occurred at Landshipping Colliery which was owned by Sir John Owen. Reported in The Cambrian newspaper of the 7th & 21st August 1830, it was the result of an explosion of firedamp and claimed the lives of 5 miners. This is a list of the victims together with the dates of their burial and abode.
6th August ~ John Rees of Weston, age 24
6th August ~ David Rees of Weston, 20
6th August ~ Roger John of Weston, 17
8th August ~ Thomas Eynon of Landshipping, 19
23rd August ~ John Dally of Millbank, 16
They were interred at St Marcellus Church, Martletwy; the curate, J.K. Humphrey, was the officiating minister in all cases.
A fuller account of this disaster is published in Pembrokeshire Life magazine, January 2011 issue.”
The above picture is copyright to Humphrey Bolton and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.